Frankenmuth, Michigan

Over the years, I’ve sometimes been on the patio of the Frankenmuth Brewery, on Main Street, looking down at boats going by on the Cass River. At other times, I’ve been in boats on the Cass River, looking up at Frankenmuth Brewery. 


The brewery is one of the stops on Main Street that my family and I love to visit in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Looking back on our visits, there are so many memories of the town and the people and all the fun we’ve had. 


Moving south on Main, there is Prost—a chic little watering hole. We had walked Main Street many times before, but the wife and I did so more frequently after Prost arrived. Once, a server spilled a Bee’s Knees cocktail all over my blazer. A mentally disabled man, who witnessed the blunder, was seated a few feet away. 

“You’re all wet,” he exclaimed. 

“Thanks,” I said. 

“You’re all wet!”

“I know.”

“You’re all wet!”

“How’s it going?”

“You’re all wet!”

“No, I’m Jo.”

“You’re all wet!”


We’ve stayed at Marv’s, the Drury, and all the hotels at Birch Run. We’ve eaten the complimentary popcorn, drank the complimentary drinks, eaten the appetizers, sat by the fireplace, and all that was really nice. But no hotel makes us feel at home like the Bavarian Inn Lodge. 



Bavarian Inn Lodge, Frankenmuth, MI

Every souvenir cup from Frankenmuth is probably in our cupboards. At the River Place Shops, I’ve tried all the wines at Cherry Republic. I bought two great books, a few years ago, from the Christian bookstore that previously occupied the space. I’ve tried everything at Grand Traverse Distillery, and still do, and purchased novels from the used bookstore next to the arcade. I’ve done the Mirror Maze twice. Got lost both times. Never did the Laser Challenge, but watched a few of my kids do it. Tried every fudge, ice cream, and cupcake, even the crepes and the beignets. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving season for years, we’ve done this. We’ve made umpteen trips to Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland. Watched many Ohio State-Michigan games sitting in the small bar at the Lorelei lounge. Michigan lost them all. 


We’ve tipped many-a-carriage driver, accordion player, server, bartender, shuttle driver, room attendant, and anyone else wearing lederhosen. We’ve amassed uncountable souvenirs, shot glasses, mugs, stuffed animals, Pandora beads from Little White House, and innumerable bottles of wine from St. Julian, the Castle Shops, and the boat tour place. I always stop at Kern’s Sausages for a whole bag of land jager. We’ve played checkers by the bathroom in the Castle Shop basement, bought clothing from Abby’s on Main, and snapped a pic on the pretty little bench outside. 



River Place


We did the escape challenge on Main, and got out with time to spare. My daughter and I toured the small museum (beautiful!). We went to a concert at the hall next to TDubs, once, and ate pizza everywhere pizza can be had—from Ratskeller to Pizzeria Uno to Tiffany’s to Davinci’s. 


Speaking of food, I always enter Tiffany’s through the back door, and use the restroom, before I make my way to the uncomfortable wooden benches and start staring at the stained glass—if we can even get a table. We’ve eaten nearly everything on the Tiffany’s menu. Great pasta, by the way, and great everything else. I’ve put away quite a few TC Pounders. 


One time, while eating in the Bavarian Inn restaurant, Dorothy Zehnder came out of the kitchen to say hello to everyone. She was still spry and engaging at 92-years-old. We spoke for a spell, took some pics. It was like meeting a celebrity. 


I’m actually embarrassed to think of how much we must have spent on Tiny Zehnder’s chicken and buttered noodles over the years. But we’ve always loved it. Ate it for dinner, then again, the next day, at Sunday brunch.



Tony’s, Birch Run, MI


We’ve eaten breakfast at Oma’s, Bob Evans, Leo’s, and of course, Tony’s, where several pounds of bacon, potatoes, Italian bread, and their unbeatable strawberry preserves, have made their way to my stomach. Several, several pounds.


At Birch Run, we always had a good time: speakers from Bose, coats from Columbia and Northface, candy from Harry and David, jeans from Levi’s, polos from Nautica, polos from Polo, shirts from Van Heusen and Izod, dozens of Coach purses, Micheal Kors, Bass, Brooks Brothers, Guess, Haggar, Nike, for shoes I didn’t need, hats I didn’t wear, suits, ties, and about 1000 bottles of stuff from Bath and Body Works. And we often did it all while breathing-in the crisp norfin air, in fall, getting excited for the upcoming holiday season. I always felt thankful for the health and the opportunity to take it all in. 


We’ve brought all of our family to Bavarian Inn at one time or another. Our favorite room at Bavarian is in the corner, above the entrance to the lodge, with a small wrap around porch. It overlooks the adult pool and hot tub and the ping pong table.  We’ve seen a lot of weddings in the small courtyard next to the entrance. I got kicked out of the hotel once (it was not my fault!). Spent many Fourth of July’s watching fireworks from the Perks Club Coral. Swam all the pools. Stood under the waterfall. Got many arcade tokens. Earned many tickets. Played putt putt with all the kids. Went down every slide from Bavarian to Zehnder’s Splash Village. I must have drank gallons of Hofbrau out of every glass mug in the place. I rolled down the hill behind the hotel but I didn’t make it all the way into the Cass. 



Main Street, Frankenmuth


We rode the paddle boat that launches from River Place. Bought swords, eyepatches, and pirate hats for the kids. Spent many Thanksgivings at the Lodge. Many Christmases. But also some Halloweens. Some New Years Eve’s. Some Labor Days. Some Memorial Days.


We’ve spent nights on Thanksgiving weekend drinking hot cocoa in the freezing rain, at River Place, waiting for the annual Candlelight Walk and Tree Lighting. It didn’t seem that cold as we sang carols and old hymns in the center of the little village. 


We weren’t at River Place when they started filming, “A Christmas Movie Christmas,” but we were there the week after, when it was still decorated for the movie. I got a copy of the local paper which gave some details about the upcoming film. (I’ve seen the movie twice since then; safe to say it probably won’t achieve Miracle on 34th status, but it is entertaining.)


From hot air balloon races to Holiday Lights, dog shows to farmer’s markets to flower festivals, Frankenmuth, Michigan has given us a lot to smile about. If I were to write a piece about Bavarian Inn Lodge, it would not be complete without talking about Frankenmuth or Birch Run. It would be incomplete without mentioning all the things I love throughout the entire area. So, for now, it will simply have to suffice to say, Little Bavaria is special to us. For over 25 years, it’s been our home-away-from-home. My family and I thank you for the memories. 



Zehnder’s Restaurant, Frankenmuth, MI



Comments

Popular Posts